HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY
PRN CARE HEALTH AND SAFETY POLICY
The Health and Safety at Work Act imposes certain obligations on an employer not only to take all such actions as are reasonable to safeguard the health and safety of their employees, but also to be able to show that they are doing so, by producing adequate written policies and procedures. PRN Care fully accepts its responsibilities under the Act.
The Act refers to what is reasonable in given working situations. PRN Care will:
- Assess the risks in the workplace.
- Have written health and safety procedures where there are five or more employees.
- Ensure that the workplace satisfies health, safety and welfare requirements forventilation, temperature, lighting and staff facilities.
- Ensure safe and clear access to and egress from the building, including fire exits.
- Regularly check the premises room by room for structural defects, worn fixtureand fittings or electrical equipment, and take the necessary remedial action.
- Ensure that all equipment is suitable for its intended use and is properlymaintained and used.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the fire procedure and regular fire drills arecarried out.
- Ensure that all members of staff are aware of the procedure in case of accidents.
- Ensure that all members of staff are aware of and carry out their health and safetyresponsibilities as set out in their job descriptions.
- Prohibit smoking on the premises.
- Prohibit any contractor working on the premises without prior discussion with the officer in charge to negate any risks to the staff or users.
- Provide appropriate protective clothing if required.The Management considers this matter of such importance, that breach of health and safety procedures by staff constitutes misconduct and will be dealt with as a disciplinary matter.
- Employees will also be made aware of their responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act and will:
- Take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others around them.
- Co-operate with the employer on matters of health and safety
- Use work equipment correctly
- Provide guidance to users of PRN Care centre and act responsibly to ensure their health and safety
- Users of Unicare Support Centre will also be made aware of their responsibilities and will:
- Agree to use the equipment in a safe manner with regard to the health and safety of those around them or the management can ask them to desist etc
It is not possible to detail here all the health and safety matters that come up on a day-to- day basis, so staff and management must constantly be mindful of their responsibilities individually and collectively for the safety of themselves and their colleagues.